Express in Concrete CMS
Express is a feature in Concrete CMS that allows for the creation and management of custom data objects that can be joined to one another. It simplifies handling complex data and relationships without extensive coding. Express is a good way to quickly scaffold out a simple data model with a few thousand rows.
Creating Express Objects
Custom data objects, known as Express objects, are created through the dashboard. Key components include:
Define characteristics such as name, description, or image.
Link objects together, like connecting a stylist to their shifts.
Customize the addition and editing of objects by organizing attributes and associations into field sets.
You can easily create your first Express Object by making a Form using the Form block on a page. Anytime you use that block, you're actually making an Express Object behind the scenes.
You probably want to read up on Express in the Dashboard section of our documentation before getting much use out of the Express List and Detail blocks.
Express List Block
This block is used to display a list of Express objects on your site.
- Customizable Listing: Display multiple objects, like a list of stylists or locations.
- Template Options: Choose how to present the list, with possibilities for customization.
- Dynamic Content: Automatically updates as new objects are added or existing ones are modified.
Express Detail Block
The Express Detail Block is designed for showcasing detailed information about a single Express object.
- Focused Display: Presents in-depth details about a specific object, such as a stylist's full profile.
- Template Customization: Allows for tailored layouts and styles to fit the object’s information.
- Seamless Integration: Works in conjunction with the List Block for a comprehensive display of Express objects.
Advantages of Using Express
- Centralized Management: Edit and update from one dashboard location, affecting all site instances.
- Ease of Use: Simplifies complex data handling, making it accessible for non-developers.
- Versatile Data Relations: Effectively manages intricate object relationships.
- Efficient Site Updates: Streamlines content updates, especially useful for repetitive information.
Express is a great way to manage strongly typed content that will be searched and organized in different ways.